Thursday, August 23, 2012

Back in Black!!!



Well, it looks like I've done a mighty fine job of keepin' up with the ol' blog here :) Since I didn't have any readers before, I probably don't need to explain that things have changed since my first post:  Ryan and I tied the knot and have been truckin' along through married life and enjoying every minute of it!  Things are pretty darn good.

Now, to the other meaning behind this post's title.... I wanted to share the project I've been working on for awhile.  I transformed an old gray (yellow?) buffet into a black beauty. 
 


"I've seen better days"




Well, at least I think she's a beauty.



Fresh and clean


The buffet was full of loose papers and junk and had been sitting in the dining room for a few months.  I really wanted to free up some space in my kitchen cabinets by relocating some serving pieces to the buffet, so I got down to bidness!  It took a lot of hours and involved sanding the top down, giving the whole thing a quick rough up with the sander and then painting and staining.  I ran into some trouble when I sanded through the paint on top and found the veneer....which had several water stains.  I tried my best to cover the water spots with gel stain, but you can still see them. bummer.  My master plan is to cover the spots with strategically placed junk decorative items.
 



Sanding hotness.  This picture was from a different project, but I used the same stance on this project.  It's my go-to stance.

 
I also applied gel stain to all the nooks and crannies in the buffet, which took massive amounts of time and cussing.  I also changed out the old hardware on the cabinets and drawers.  I could NOT find any cabinet pulls to match the original holes, so Ryan ended up drilling new holes for me. 





The best part is I've turned her into a little bit of a bar too :)  I fit all of our bar glasses, shakers, straws, shot glasses, cocktail napkins and other goodies into the drawers.  The cabinets have all of our serving pieces for parties and gatherings :) 


Yea, we put all these bad boys to use.


After everything was dry I rubbed on Minwax furniture wax for protection and some shine.  All in all, it was fun to work on and I'm really excited about how it turned out. I love having the extra storage!  The updated buffet has now prompted us me to repaint not only the dining room where it lives, but also the adjoining living room :)




We're still trying to pick a color.  Don't judge.


 And I printed this cute 1'x3' photo of our wedding party to hang above.




I'll fill you in once the room is finished!







11 comments:

  1. I love it...the project and the blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great "After." It looks like a whole lotta work, but very worth it in the end. Congrats on your new marriage, your wedding photo above the buffet is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, so much Kelly! It was a lot of work, but it was enjoyable! Thanks for the comment about the picture. It took me a long time to pick the right size to print. I'm notorious for overthinking things :)

      Delete
  3. It looks fabulous! That's a huge project--I did our bedroom dressers, once: never again, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alana! Yes, it was a big undertaking!! I almost gave up and painted the whole thing black and skipped the staining. I'm glad I didn't! :) I've painted one dresser in my life. Big pieces of furniture take a lot out of you!

      Delete
  4. Looks like you switched out the drawers too? Making the detailing have a whole new slant? I like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yep, I ended up switching the drawers around. Good eye! :) I think the detailing flows better now with the lines of the buffet.

      Delete
  5. The detailing is definitely better on the outside. Thankfully the drawers could be switched out since sometimes they are off by just a fraction of an inch. ;-/

    Looks really great! We had to buy something similar lately since our new apartment had zero storage anywhere. Furniture like this is so practical and flexible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you1 You are right, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to switch the drawers!! And I completely agree, it's a piece of furniture that has so many functions. I hope your new piece is working out!

      Delete
  6. Nice work! BTW, what brand is your sander and what are your thoughts on it? I am looking to buy one and have heard mixed reviews on all makes and models.
    -Leilani the Clyde Woman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a little Craftsman 2.0 amp 1/4 sheeet sander. This buffet was the largest project I've used it for and it worked great!

      Delete